1. Why should I go to the Grady Burn Center instead of my local urgent care center? The Burn Center is staffed by a highly qualified team of Emory University School of Medicine surgeons and Grady nurses certified in critical burn and advanced wound care for adults and children. It is because of our exceptional team of doctors and staff that patients from all over the country choose to receive their treatment here, where qualified specialists can make the best decisions about your care and treatment.
  2. What do I do if I receive a serious burn?
    • Stop the burning. Remove the source of heat or chemical.
    • Remove burned clothing. Clothing only traps in the heat. If clothing is stuck to the skin, carefully cut the clothing loose from the surrounding areas, but do not try to peel clothing from damaged skin.
      • If a burn victim has clothing stuck to their skin, immediate medical attention is necessary.
    • Cool the burn. Hold the burned area under cool running water for 10-15 minutes. This stops the burning process and relieves pain.
      • Never apply ointments, salves, ice or butter to a burn. This will trap the heat and promote infection.
    • Cover with a clean, dry, dressing sheet.
    • Immediately call for medical help.


  3. How do I access the Grady Burn Center? There are three ways to become a patient at the Grady Burn Center.
    • Call (404) 616-BURN to make an appointment at our outpatient center.
    • Go to your local Emergency Department, and they can transfer you to the Grady Burn Center
    • Go directly to the Grady Emergency Department, and you will be transferred to the Burn Center


  4. What are some common misperceptions about treating burns?
    • Never apply ointments, salves, ice or butter to a burn. This will trap the heat and promote infection.
    • Sunburns are no different than other types of burns – large blistered areas should be seen in the emergency department.
    • Burns destroy skin and the loss of skin can lead to infection, dehydration and hypothermia (loss of body heat). Make sure that burn victims get emergency medical help if experiencing any of the following:
      • dizziness or confusion
      • weakness
      • fever or chills
      • shivering
      • cold sweats


  5. How do I pay for my treatment at the Grady Burn Center?You are responsible for paying any amount due in full at the time you come in for healthcare services. We accept most private health insurance, Medicare, Medicaid and workers’ compensation, please check with your provider. We will bill your insurance company for all covered services you receive. You will receive a bill for services not covered by your insurance company and you will be responsible for paying for these services.Grady Health System accepts cash, check, traveler’s check, money order, Discover, Visa, MasterCard and American Express for payment. A valid, government issued form of identification must accompany your check, traveler’s check, money order or credit card.

    Payment plans can be arranged for patients who need additional time to make all necessary payments based on Grady’s financial assistance and payment guidelines. If you want to arrange a payment plan, contact Patient Financial Services at (404) 616-2991, during the hours of 8 am to 5 pm

  6. Does the Grady Burn Center treat children? Can I bring my child there for treatment? Yes. We see patients of all ages, from infants to older adults.
  7. Can my family members visit me while I’m receiving treatment at the Grady Burn Center? At the Grady Burn Center, we believe in family-centered care and visitors are allowed at all hours. Your loved ones may visit you in your room when appropriate and can also relax in the spacious Patient and Family Lounge.
  8. Who will care for me during my stay at the Grady Burn Center? Grady’s Burn Center is staffed by a multidisciplinary team that provides optimal care. The Burn Center patient care team includes:
    • Physician specialists and surgeons
    • Physical therapists
    • Social workers
    • Psychologists
    • Nurses
    • Occupational therapists
    • Child Life Specialist
    • Dietitians
    • Chaplains


  9. Are there private patient rooms at the Burn Center with room for my family to visit and stay the night?We offer burn suites where family members can sit with their loved ones through the night. We also offer special lodging rates at select hotels.
  10. Can my family call to receive condition reports about my treatment?To inquire about a patient’s condition, immediate family members may call the Burn Center using the patient information card provided by the admitting nurse 24 hours a day, and speak to the nurse caring for the patient. These family members should identify themselves and give the patient’s name and ID card number. Condition reports are given only to immediate family members. It is recommended that one or two family members be designated to inquire about a patient’s condition. These family members can then relay the information to others. Friends must contact the family for information about a patient’s condition.